Sunday 8 July 2012

"The Amazing Spider-Man Review"

So.


The Amazing Spider-Man.  Is it any good?  Did it deserve the title of amazing?  Were there any flaws in the movie?  Yes, to all three questions.  Did it live up to my high expectations though?  Oh yes, and more.  I'm going to babble on a bit about this movie, because for one reason, I loved it, and for two, I have this blog-thing now, which is pretty neat.
So if you've seen the movie, thinking of seeing the movie, or just like to read my pointless views on life, here we go....


Basically, I loved it.  I knew I would, and perhaps I already loved the film, before I'd seen it?  I knew it'd be great due to two little words: Andrew Garfield.  I never realized how much I enjoyed this man's work until The Social Network, in which he was nothing but perfect when playing Jessie Eissenberg's forgotten businessman.  So as I entered "screen 8" with my Spidey-senses already tingling, I think the thing I was most looking forward to, was Garfield's portrayal of the iconic Peter Parker, formerly played by Tobey Maguire.  


Some would argue that Garfield was "too cool" to play the geeky student Peter Parker, some would add that he couldn't shake off the strange ruggedness that he seems to have.  I'd say: bollocks.  Pre-bitten Garfield hit every geeky note perfectly, with his lip bitting, gum chewing and just damn-right nerdy facial expressions, I soon forgot about the angry Eduardo from The Social Network - for a moment.  Then as soon as Spider-Man was unleashed, this was like an unwritten metaphor for Garfield to rip out his shit-load of cool.  Was he too cool to play Peter Parker?  Not at all.  I think some people may be forgetting that even though it's a new adaption of the original story, it is still a new fucking film, and the fact Garfield twisted the stereotypical Parker role which seemed to be cemented in Marvel history, it worked perfectly, and anybody who disagrees - well - they're wrong.


Support from Emma Stone, and Rhys Ifans was basically spot on too.  I personally think Emma Stone is incredibly cute in this, there's just something about her.  The blonde hair.  More importantly, her performance?  Decent.  Very decent.  This film is like a timeline of her professionalism, she matures, and her very average performance in films such as Zombieland and the terrible House Bunny seem a million miles away.  As for Ifans?  Well, there's not much to say really, brilliant as usual, and deserves every bit of praise that comes his way.  His transformation between good and evil is second to none, as expected.  I think the fact that the cast were unbeatable, made this film arguably my favourite Spider-Man to date, and my taste-buds are already watering for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, in 2014!


If you haven't seen it yet, see it.  For the goodness of all humanity.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. Totally agree with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it didn't mix up the formula or bring anything new to the table to make it worth the redux. Garfield is a better fit in the role but that's about it. It’s just a film that didn’t really need to be redone, even if it is a well-done one. Good review Jack.

    ReplyDelete